A registered charity based in the South of Scotland, TRASH Arts are a leading provider of junk-percussion based workshops and other wide ranging arts projects. Since starting in 1994 we have worked throughout the UK, across Europe and in the Middle East; taking on dance, visual arts, video, mixing in conventional instruments - even doing an opera version of Hamlet. We work with a wide range of client groups: from tinies, through our Nursery Adventures; Primary and Secondary School projects, specialising in composition and performance through the use of found instruments, natural sounds, conventional instruments and techno equipment; partnership with youth organisations; special needs work with young people and adults. Our principal aim is to build confidence in being involved with the arts. A secondary aim is to use our "junk" based work to highlight the consequences of our throwaway society and to build an awareness of the need for a more ecologically sound attitude to the world around us.
What We Do:
We have worked on a diverse range of projects including the development of festival performance groups, multi-discipline collaborations and even a TRASH Opera. Our main areas of work are listed below.
- Workshops (from an hour to a full day)
- Long and Short-term Projects (from 1 day to as long as you like)
- Provision of advice, support and training to organisations and individuals looking to develop their own TRASH groups
- Development of instruments, music and best practice
- Development of volunteers and staff through training
The above list is by no means exhaustive and we are always keen to consider new areas of work, so please contact us with your ideas. If you can think of it, we can probably do it!
Who We Work With:
Everyone! Here's a brief list of some of the people we have worked with:
- People of all ages. From five to a hundred and five. We can tailor our activities so that they are rewarding for any age group
- People with special needs, including mobility, learning, behavioural and sensory disabilities.
- Schools (primary and secondary). We can also provide workshops for teachers as part of in-service training days
- Youth Clubs, Community Groups, Scouts, Cubs, Guides, Brownies etc.
- Local Authorities
- Charities and companies. Performances at events, or stress relief / team-building workshops
- Event Organisers
- Theatre Groups
- Dance Companies
For any information please contact us now, or browse this site at your leisure.
back to top of page